Spaces

Monday, September 22, 2008

Light 'em up

I've sent emails to my rep, Speaker Pelosi, and my two senators. I will spend some time calling congress, too, as soon as I finish this post.

Don't think for a minute that staff isn't tallying calls and emails from taxpayers, and calculating the political consequences of their next move. Start here to find your rep's contact info.

I am so deeply angered by this situation. Talking the other night about what this means about our government, some of the terms tossed around and weighed were Communism, Fascism, Oligarchy, Hegemony.

Maybe it's because I've been reading Reformation history, but I keep coming back to Feudalism. You know, the princes (Wall Street) deplete the royal stores with their building cathedrals or fighting wars or whatever, and the Monarchy digs the country out of a hole by raising taxes on the serfs (you and me).

And yes, Senator McCain and my Republican friends, you better damn well believe that I want taxes raised on the Masters of the Universe that got us into this disaster. If I have to pay for their malfeasance, I want their responsibility to be substantially larger.

Some bright chatter from various corners this morning:
Brad at SN! shares his congressional talking points.
Matt Stoller has been communicating with members, and hopefully they fight as hard as they email. This one is my favorite:
I also find myself drawn to provisions that would serve no useful purpose except to insult the industry, like requiring the CEOs, CFOs and the chair of the board of any entity that sells mortgage related securities to the Treasury Department to certify that they have completed an approved course in credit counseling. That is now required of consumers filing bankruptcy to make sure they feel properly humiliated for being head over heels in debt, although most lost control of their finances because of a serious illness in the family. That would just be petty and childish, and completely in character for me.
Krugman calls shenanigans.
Josh Marshall has questions about Phil Gramm's once and future role in all of this.
Robert Reich has a pretty good list of conditions.

Get on the phone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a great idea on one of the many blogs I read -- I think it was TPM but I'm not sure.

The plan is to change your payroll deductions for the month of October. No federal taxes withheld for the month. That'll send a message!

Bly said...

I'm actually for full tax-payer revolt.

But I'll give 'em til after the election.