Spaces

Monday, June 16, 2008

If not racism, then what?

I have been thinking for a couple of weeks about the "If we can't have Hillary, we will elect McCain" camp. And I have been thinking that if their issue with Obama isn't race, then I don't know what it is.

Now, I do know people who are disheartened by Obama's nomination victory. They really believed in Hillary, and they're not so sure about Obama. And they frankly aren't sure what they want to do on election day.

I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about this guy and this woman.

Surely it's not about feminism. For one thing, I doubt the Texas good ole boy has been waiting and pleading with the gods for a woman POTUS his whole adult life. Sure, I'm making assumptions based on his gender and where he's from, but I'd say they're pretty safe assumptions.

Aside from that, though, there isn't any reason for a feminist to want McCain in the White House, unless they're hoping that he'll screw women over so badly that there'll be a decades long backlash against conservative patriarchy. And that would be a considerable longshot.

Policies not having to do with women? Ok, so maybe they really want a POTUS who casually tosses around the idea of bombing several million people into oblivion. They thought Hillary could do it, now she won't have the opposrtunity, and MCCain certainly loves to talk about fire power.

But for one to be exercised enough about jumping to McCain, for one to make a few waves and get some screaming into the collective consciousness, one is presumably paying attention to the politics, has some strong opinions on policy and the direction of the country. This type of person couldn't easily switch from the first serious female democratic nominee to John McCain over Barack Obama based on policy ideas, could they?

I'm doubting it.

It's race.

Fortunately, I don't belive that racism will win this time around.

No comments: