Spaces

Sunday, June 22, 2008

On crazy-ass friends

On a long drive today, and I thought I should humbly add to the post below.

I'm a suburban middle-aged white woman, and I've never been to a war zone. I am one of the people one might see at a demonstration photographed by Ringo, of course, and I don't want to sound overly pious about it.

I'm not a veteran or a minister, and I don't mean to hide my opinions behind others. My opinions are my own, and not necessarily enobled by the fact that I've stood next to farm workers, immigrants, veterans, Gold Star family members, etc. Nor do I mean to imply that ALL people who belong to any of the above groups would agree with me. I've been out enough, and met enough people, to know that that isn't the case. (and I have witnessed some really great dialogue between opposing sides, which will always inspire me.)

I do hate it when people pretend that those groups do not exist in opposition to the current state of affairs, that they're "phonies", that they are somehow less valid or patriotic or whatever than, say, the President.

I just get my back up because I don't like to see them ignored.

No comments: