Spaces

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Party all the time

As we move toward the general election, the Democratic Party has to be the Party of ordinary Americans, not Washington lobbyists and special interests. So, as of this morning, if you're a federal lobbyist, or if you control political action committee donations, we won't be accepting your contribution.

This is an unprecedented move for a political party to make -- one that has sent shockwaves through Washington and has turned the debate on clean campaigns upside down. We've unilaterally agreed to shut lobbyists out of the process, and are we're relying on people just like you.


The last couple of election cycles, I've opted not to give money directly to the party, but to donate to specific candidates and causes. The major reason was that I didn't like the way the party always made what looked like top-down decisions.

Howard Dean has done a lot to change that. He ran a successful 50 state strategy two years ago, and this primary- long as it's been- has depended on voting, rather than coronation.

Dean and Obama are a good match, it seems to me. And I'm really pleased with this policy decision.

So this year, I'll donate to the DNC. I will also donate through John Cole's Act Blue page, because, as I've said before, I love Obama coffers growing through a Pajamas Media site.
Ballons-for-Obama here.

Suck on that, Terry Mcauliffe.

No comments: