Spaces

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saddleback forum: initial impressions

I think the only problem I have with this forum taking place at a church is that it's only going to take place at a church. That is to say: this kind of forum, this "conversation", as Barack called it, should be taking place every day, in many venues, so that the electorate isn't making decisions based on a single talk radio show and a few campaign ads.

Yes, we'll have the official debates, but not enough of them. And the moderation may or may not be good.

The format: on the plus side, no "gotchas". Each asked the same question, not playing off one another.
On the downside: no follow-ups. For instance, when McCain talked about torture, he got to say that he was against it. No follow up on his capitulation to the president on this issue.

I was out all day, so missed most of Obama. Saw all of McCain.

Hated the "I don't want to raise taxes" speech. It was based on two false points.
1: The Republican canard that we will all magically get rich together. As my husband says, societies will always have ditch diggers, and this get rich together! fantasy never addresses them.
2: Did you know that the congress committed a few million dollars to some mammal paternity research thing? McCain made a good joke on this line ("I don't know if this was a legal issue"), but the truth, as any economist or budget analyst knows, is that eliminating these little earmarks alone will never solve our budget woes. McCain also knows that he's been as skilled as almost any of them at bringing home the bacon.

Hated the "choice and competition" bit on education. Build public education because it is for the public and the national good. Period.
I really believe that a lot of parents make the choice to keep their kids out of the public school system because they have been told, over and over again, that it won't serve them, and the only solution is home-schooling or vouchers.

Really did not like McCain's response on marriage equality, because saying people of same gender can make "legal arrangements" falsely suggests that these "legal arrangements" offer the same protections as a legal marriage. They do not even come close, and I am sure the Senator knows this.

Barack seemed comfortable and open during the portion I saw. Really appreciated the final answer, he'd tell Americans that great sacrifice may be required of our generation, and we should be up to the task, as our parents and grandparents were. Much more appealing to me than "My friends, we should all be rich."

Just by the way: on a very personal level, I really resented McCain's response to the wealth question. He spoke about people who've suddenly lost jobs, insurance, etc, and then said something about giving people hope. No, asshole. I have hope. I want an income and some upward mobility. Which I will continue to work toward, if you and your pals will stop wreaking havoc on the national economic playing field.

I don't like being lectured about rich people being unhappy by a man in $500 shoes while I'm sitting at home wondering about how I'll make enough money to keep paying my mortgage this year.

The CNN heads are going to do "analysis" now. Let's see how big the war hero worship can get.

No comments: